Work Permit

An open work permit is a work permit that is not job-specific. Because it is not job-specific, you will not need the following when you apply for your work permit i.e., A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada, or Proof that an employer has submitted an offer of employment through the Employer Portal and paid the employer compliance fee. In most cases, you will have to pay the open work permit holder fee at the same time you pay the work permit fee.

You may be eligible for an open work permit if you are an international student who graduated from a designated learning institution and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program, or if you are a student who’s no longer able to meet the costs of your studies, or if you have an employer-specific work permit and are being abused or at risk of being abused in relation to your job in Canada, or if you applied for permanent residence in Canada, or if you are a dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence, etc.